Institutions

St. Edward’s Maternity Clinic was established in 1996 at the request of the people and Chief of Dwinyama, through the Late Rev. Fr. Edward Scott Cssp; on behalf of the Bishop of Kumasi, Most Rev. Peter Kwasi Sarpong. It was set up as an outreach clinic of St. Patrick Hospital, Offinso.  It was an old church building which was partitioned into a clinic with an additional four-room block to serve as a Maternity Section in 1994.  Since its establishment in 1996 it has been under the management of the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Mother of Christ.  The clinic was registered by the Private Hospital and Maternity Home Board on July 15, 1997 and by CHAG in July 1998.  It was then, under supervision of the St. Patrick Hospital, and Catholic Diocese of Kumasi.

Read more: ST. EDWARD’S MATERNITY CLINIC


Year of Establishment

St. John of God Hospital was established as a Maternity Home in 1953 with three Staff. The Traditional Council appealed to the Catholic Church to take up the running of the facility and Brother John Verbert, a Dutchman, was appointed to manage the facility.  Later, Dr. Magdalene, the first Dutch Medical Officer, was assigned to the facility by the Catholic Church.  She was later joined by the husband, also a Medical Practitioner who became the Medical Officer in-charge.

Read more: ST. JOHN OF GOD HOSPITAL.

 

HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL

The school was the brain child of the chief of Kenyasi II, Nana Nsiah Ababio II.  He and his elder wished to have a Girls’ Secondary School in the area to help the young girl to acquire formal education.  To achieve this dream they approached the Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Sunyani, Most Rev. James Owusu (of Blessed Memory) who in turn contacted the international women congregation the OLA Sisters who also promptly responded to his call to establish and run the school.  the school was started with 34 pupils on the 27th of September, 1974.  it was absorbed into the Government Public System in September, 1976.

Read more: OLA Secondary

HISTORY OF THE HOSPITAL

St. Elizabeth Catholic Hospital in Hwidiem located in the Asutifi district of the Brong Ahafo Region was started as a sanatorium for small pox victims in 1956. It became a clinic under the Catholic Diocese of Kumasi. This was as a result of a request from the Chief and elders of Hwidiem Traditional Area. The request became necessary due to the many contagious diseases like small pox and leprosy that prevailed in the area. This clinic has developed into a modern hospital over the years and is currently under the administration of the Catholic Diocese of Goaso.With time, the hospital has been up graded to a district hospital. A considerable amount of renovation and construction works have been carried out over the years. The hospital consists of a number of individual buildings in all shades of quality size and appearance. Generally, the hospital offers quality and affordable medical services for the people of Asutifi and nearby Asunafo, Ahafo-Ano North and Bibiani Anwhiaso – Bekwai districts and beyond as well as referrals from other clinics and district hospitals. The catchment area of the hospital is estimated to be over 120,000.

Read more: St. Elizabeth Catholic Hospital

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Read more: Secretariate